It’s a common misconception that only women produce estrogen. Men also create this hormone and high levels can be a problem for both genders. In this article, we’ll look at the signs and symptoms of high estrogen levels and discover how to lower estrogen levels in males.
What is Estrogen?
Estrogen is known as the ‘female’ hormone, just as testosterone is known as the ‘male’ hormone. For women, estrogen plays an important part in the reproductive system. In men, it’s closely related to sexual function. In both genders, too much estrogen can cause health problems such as thyroid diseases, heart attacks, and strokes.
High levels of estrogen is a fairly common occurrence that can be caused by various factors including medication, liver disease, obesity, and genetics. Males taking injectable testosterone therapy often find that they are producing too much estrogen, especially when synthetic testosterone is being used in excess or by obese men. Aging is also associated with an increase in estrogen. This is because older men frequently see an increase in aromatase, which is an enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen.
Environmental estrogen can also contribute to excess levels. Plastic food wraps and containers can transfer estrogen into food that they come into contact with, and toiletries that contain parabens also contain estrogen. If you are concerned about your estrogen levels, staying away from these everyday items can help.
Signs of High Estrogen in Men
Often, when estrogen levels increase in men, testosterone decreases. As such, the symptoms of high estrogen tend to be combined with symptoms of low testosterone. It’s also worth noting that low levels of estrogen can also cause issues for men. Many of the symptoms are the same as an individual with excess estrogen is likely to see, so if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms you should consult with your doctor.
- Erectile dysfunction: This is the inability to get or maintain an erection that is firm enough to have sexual intercourse. Occasional erectile dysfunction is common, but frequent impotence can be a sign of an estrogen imbalance.
- Enlarged breasts (Gynecomastia): When estrogen levels are high in men, it can cause the breast tissue to swell. Gynecomastia may occur in one or both breasts.
- Infertility: Estrogen is an important hormone in male fertility, so high levels in men can make it difficult for a couple to conceive.
- Low libido: Low levels of testosterone and high levels of estrogen can combine to cause a low sex drive. This may tie in with erectile dysfunction.
- Fatigue: Negative mood changes including tiredness and depression can be a sign that estrogen levels are higher than normal.
- Weight gain: An increase in fat tissue and a loss of muscle tone are common symptoms of elevated levels of estrogen, which can lead to obesity and heart disease.
- Enlarged prostate: Estrogen can cause benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) which is a non-malignant enlargement of the prostate.
- Stroke: In extreme cases, excess estrogen can lead to blood clots, which can cause a stroke.
How to Lower Estrogen Levels in Males
To ensure good hormonal health, it’s important to achieve a proper balance of estrogen and testosterone. Fortunately, there are several simple diet and lifestyle changes that can be made to level out hormones:
- Exercise – keeping fit and maintaining healthy body weight is a great natural estrogen blocker.
- Consume foods with high levels of glucosinolates – cruciferous vegetables are the best source for this estrogen detoxifying compound. Cruciferous vegetables are also the answer to the question of how to stop testosterone from converting to estrogen.
- Increase fiber intake – berries, beans, and chia seeds are great sources of fiber.
- Get plenty of B12, betaine, folate, and choline – fish, meat, spinach and quinoa pack in plenty of these nutrients.
- Supplements – if you’re wondering how to lower estrogen levels with supplements, vitamin D3 is a great choice as it helps regulate estrogen levels.
An estrogen blocker for men can also be beneficial if you are experiencing signs and symptoms of high estrogen levels. These supplements are designed to restore balance to the hormones and reduce the negative side effects of having too much estrogen. For men, regularly taking high-quality estrogen blockers can improve libido and erectile function, as well as helping to protect against the risk of stroke and heart disease. An estrogen blocker for bodybuilding can also improve muscle tone and boost gains to supercharge every workout.
Estrogen blockers can also be beneficial for women, and they are widely used to prevent and treat breast cancer. For both genders, the most important thing is to ensure that your chosen estrogen blocker is high-quality and offers full label transparency so you know exactly what you’re putting into your body.
Estrogen is most commonly associated with females, but the fact is that it is also an extremely important hormone for male health. Having excess estrogen can have serious health implications in both men and women, so it’s important to ensure that your body is creating the correct amount.
An estrogen blocker can help to balance hormone levels, but always ensure that you do your research so you’re sure you’re taking the best estrogen blocker on the market. And, if you are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms in this article, consult a doctor to ensure a correct diagnosis.
Have you experienced any of the signs and symptoms of excess estrogen? Have you had success with our estrogen blocker? Let us know in the comments.